Monday, May 4, 2009

Magnolia




Late October last year I bought a Little Gem Magnolia tree. I lovingly planted it outside my bathroom window and envisioned beautiful shade in summer and sunlight in winter. And in between...those beautiful blooms.

Then we had the hottest, driest, smokiest summer I can remember. The heat was unforgiving on some days and my little trees leaves fried. I chastised myself for having planted it too close to summer and expected to watch it slowly die.

So you can imagine my delight when a single, pure white magnolia flower bloomed last week. I was so taken aback that I gasped loudly. Big Fella thought I'd seen a rat, or snake or something equally dramatic...like catching a neighbour with their pants down?

It rained most days last week and so it was several days before I ventured out to take a pic. By then the petals were bruised...but still so beautiful.


No comments: